Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon | Review


Author: Nicola Yoon
Published: September 1, 2015
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, YA
Source: ARC received at BookCon

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster. 

This book is filled with charts, cool art, and instant message conversations. The way they artwork was spread out made it seem like I was reading Madeline's journal. In this book the visuals add to the story, and in some cases tell the story. While that separates this book from other YA novels, it took away from the story at times because of the missing details that otherwise could be better told in word. 

I felt like the story unraveled quickly. I wanted to know more about Madeline and Olly as well as Carla's (Madeline's nurse) daughter. She's not really an essential character, but it would have definitely added more to the story. Madeline doesn't have much contact with any other people her age. She falls in love with Olly so soon after she meets him. I was afraid this would be a case of instalove, but in this case the main character has been separated from people her age (and the opposite sex) that it's almost difficult to not want to like someone she's just met. She wants to take care of him the way that she's always been taken care of. 

I loved the diversity in the cast of characters. This is what we need more of in all genres, but most importantly YA. Overall I really enjoyed Eveything, Everything for the story, the writing, and the (diverse) characters. As well as the originality in the way the story is told.








No comments