October 2014 | Wrap Up



Hopeless and Finding Cinderella by Colleen Hoover
[Read my Bookish Thoughts (Review) here]
This was my first time reading new adult, and I loved it. Maybe it's Colleen Hoover. I went into Hopeless expecting just a YA romance, but I got so much more. There's depth to the story, and the characters have these incredible back stories. Loved it. 5 stars

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
I love Stephanie Perkins' books. The female leads that she creates in these series are very different from the typical YA contemporary girls. The guys. Etienne, Cricket, and Josh. I love them all. Most people who are fans of this series usually rate Anna and the French Kiss as their favorite, but I think mine would have to be Lola and the Boy Next Door. I think I just connected more with the two main characters. Although what happened to Lola's friend at the end of the book? I don't know if I missed it, but I feel like she was forgotten about. 5 stars

Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
Isla and the Happily Ever After is probably my second favorite of the three. I've heard this has been called instalove, but these two characters had been crushing on each other for a while. I liked that Isla doubted certain aspects of the relationship. Unlike the two previous books, the relationship was formed very quickly and the story was more about the ups and downs of it rather than the journey towards them being together. I loved both of these books. 5 stars

No Place Like Oz by Danielle Paige
This was such a struggle to get through. I didn't hate it, but it was frustrating. So much happened yet nothing really happened. There was so much that I felt like didn't really add to the overall story. I know this is only a prequel novella, but how essential could it really be? I didn't feel like it was really important to know why Dorothy is the way she is for Dorothy Must Die given the reasons in this novella. 3 stars

The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
So, this book hasn't been getting such great reviews from some people, and I get it. But, I still love it. I acknowledge the flaws, and I move on because I loved the story. Also, since it's a series I'm hoping that this story will only get better as it goes along. It's not heavy on the fantasy, but lays it on thick with the romance (there's a love triangle). Towards the end it starts to pick up a little bit on the more magical elements which I'm really hoping is developed more in the second book. 5 stars

Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol
I don't really read graphic novels, but it's something that I want to pick up once in a while. I liked this for the most part. The only reason I didn't give it the full 5 stars was because I felt like some of it could have been hashed out a bit more. 4 stars

Amulet, Vol. 1: The Stonekeeper by Kazu Kibuishi
My second graphic novel of the month. Super interesting world and characters. The magical elements make this story very intriguing. I found this in the YA section of my library, but it seems like a middle grade book. 4 stars.

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
I finally finished it in October. It was okay. My favorite character so far is still Cinder. I don't know if I'm going to read Cress right now, but I do want to continue the series. 4 stars.

Currently Reading:
Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo

November TBR:
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo
The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey

Despite the fact that I had midterms and a bunch of other school stuff, I got a lot of reading in. Next month is loaded with more school, but hopefully it'll go like October and I'll get to some books. I'm going to add a sort of TBR to these wrap ups. I never follow them. I think Throne of Glass has been on every TBR list I've made this year. So embarrassing. 

No comments