Comic Books #1



After reading a few volumes of collected comic books I wanted to get some individual issues. I used to buy comics back when the first Spiderman movie came out in 2002. There was a comic book store around the corner from where I lived and I would just go through the boxes in the back looking for old Spiderman comics. I kind of grew out of it and a few years ago the store closed its doors. Thankfully now that I'm older I can go out to different comic stores in search of some these issues. I kind of wish that my local comic shop was still there.
Anyways, this is where this post comes in. I've been buying comics here and there and wanted to share them and talk about them. Since issues are pretty short I though I'd just do a haul and wrap up all in one post.
There's a store a few towns over that I like going to, but I've also gotten some books at Midtown Comics (Times Square) and Forbidden Planet (Union Square). I don't really remember which ones I got where, some of these I got a while back. At first it was slightly intimidating going in, I felt a little out of my element. There were people there who new about all of the new releases and the different titles, artists, and terminology. After going to a few different stores and becoming more familiar with everything I'm enjoying the experience of going in and picking up the next issue, so most likely there will be more of these coming soon.

By G. Willow Wilson and Kris Anka
Published: June 17, 2015
+ This issue comes after the third volume. I didn't want to wait for the fourth volume, so I picked up the following issue and it did not disappoint. This series gets better as it goes along. Kamala is becoming Ms. Marvel more and more with every issue as well as more action.

By Ryan North and Erica Henderson
Published January 7, 2015
+ The name of the book caught my attention, so I got the first issue to see what it was all about. It was okay, but not for me. Doreen Green aka Squirrel Girl is trying to balance life as Squirrel Girl and college at the same time. She's definitely not your typical superhero.

By Nathan Edmondson and Phil Noto
Published: January 8, 2014
+ There was so much hype about Black Widow getting her own movie that I wanted to see how interesting her storyline was. Also I had seen the first volume in this series in a few book hauls. I don't remember if people liked it or not, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I still haven't read this one.

By Shannon Watters, Noelle Stevenson, Brooke Allen, Maarta Laiho
Published: July 15, 2015
+ I picked this up for one reason mostly. I just wanted to own an individual issue. I've read the second volume which consists of issues 5 through 8, so I'm not even close to reading this. Volume 3 comes out in April, so I'll probably be getting to it sometime then.

By Jason Latour and Robbi Rodriguez
Published: February 25, 2015
+ I had heard a few things about this series and wasn't sure whether I would like it or not, so I picked up just the first issue. This storyline got started in another series so I was a bit lost at first. I ended up liking it, but I'm not sure if I'm going to continue on with it.




2 comments

  1. I'm trying to read more graphic novels and comic books this year, so I really enjoyed your post. There are so many that it can be a little daunting, so it's nice to get to know a little bit more about the comics out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand. When I walked into Midtown Comics and Forbidden Planet I didn't even know where to start. I'm glad this post helped out. I should have another one posted soon!

      Delete