T5W: Banned Books


Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Lainey at GingerReadsLainey
The theme this week is Top 5 Banned Books That You've Read. 

Banned Book week is September 27 - October 3

I haven't done a Top 5 Wednesday in a while, and I'm excited that this is the one I chose to come back with. I used the links provided in the T5W Goodreads group to check which books have been banned.

I read this book quite a while ago. Before I ever made a blog or knew about Booktube. If I remember correctly it was one of the Barnes and Noble staff picks at my local B&N. It sounded interesting, so I bought it and I loved it. It's one of my all time favorite books, and #1 on the Top Ten Most Challenged Books of 2014.



Lord of the Flies by William Goulding
I remember reading this in high school, and it being one of the few books that I actually enjoyed. It presented a concept and developed it in a way that I would have never imagined.



Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neal Hurston
I read this in my Heroines class in college. Janie, the main character in Their Eyes Were Watching God, was someone who I could see as a heroic character. She did what she believed was right despite what was expected of her by others and what might can be considered the conventional. There's also a movie starring Halle Berry that's a pretty decent adaptation.



The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
I also read this one in high school. This is on my top five because it was one of the stories that stayed with me. It made me think, and challenged the way that I felt. People tend to dislike books that make them uncomfortable, which I do sometimes as well, but The Kite Runner



The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
I would include the entire series in this as well, but I have to stick to five books. This is on the list, because it's one of the more recent young adult novels that challenges its readers.



If you did this Top 5 Wednesday, please leave a link below. I want to see what are everyone else's favorite banned books. Even if you didn't do T5W this week, what's your favorite banned book?


6 comments

  1. I read Lord of the flies when I was a teenager and I really enjoyed it, it was a great read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew that Lord of the Flies had been banned! That's so interesting. I'm ashamed to say I've read none of your banned books, but I've been planning on reading all of them eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to see quite a few on there. They're all must reads.

      Delete
  3. I read Lord of the Flies when I was young, and although I enjoyed it I found it quite disturbing. Never knew it was banned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it when I was in high school, so I wasn't that young. It was definitely different from anything I had ever read before.

      Delete