January 2015 | Wrap Up


Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson (author) and Adrian Alphona (artist)
A compilation of the first four comics in a series by Marvel starring Kamala Kahn as the new Ms. Marvel. I had seen a couple of people haul this in December. To be honest, I bought it because I loved the colors on the cover. Kamala lives in Jersey city, and idolizes superheros like the Avengers. Kamala even with super powers is relatable, which is very important for me in order to establish a deeper connection with anything that I read. I loved the story and the art. I'll definitely be buying the next one in the series. 4/5

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
I finally got to this one! I just don't know how to feel about this book. I loved the beginning when we're first introduced to Caleana, and the ending when everything comes together. The rest was just okay. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it. I do hear that this serious gets better. Hopefully I can get to Crown of Midnight in February, and maybe it'll change my mind about this series. 3.5/5

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger
This was the first book I read for Bout of Books. Although I enjoyed most of it, I did have issues with the way the main character handled certain situations, and to the lengths it was taken. After watching the trailer for the movie, it's pretty obvious that a lot has been changed from the books, but in this case it might just work. 3.5/5

Teen Angst? Naaah... by Ned Vizzini
This is the second book I read for Bout of Books. It's really rare that I laugh out loud while reading a book, but this book managed to do that to me. I had only read It's Kind of a Funny Story before Teen Angst. I read it when I was 16, and quickly became not only one of my favorites, but an influential and important book to me. After having read Teen Angst it just proves to me why Ned Vizzini was and is one of my favorite writers. 5/5

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (author) and Patricia Castelao (illustrator)
This was the third book I read for Bout of Books. The story was beautiful. I love how the illustrations helped support the story instead of take away attention from it. 5/5

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Guess what? I also read this for Bout of Books. I read this based on my sister's recommendation. I didn't really have much of an expectation for this book. I could have done without some of the romance. At times I felt like it was slightly forced. Aside from that I really enjoyed the story. I didn't have a problem getting through this because I needed to know. 4/5

Losing Hope by Colleen Hoover
Also read during Bout of Books. It was interesting to see the story from Holder's perspective. It also helped to understand certain things that aren't really gone into detail in Hopeless. I loved it as much as the first one. 5/5

My True Love Gave To Me edited by Stephanie Perkins
I found it slightly difficult attempting to rate a collection of short stories. Thankfully I enjoyed the majority of the stories in this collection. My favorites were "Midnights" by Rainbow Rowell, "Angels in the Snow" by Matt de la Peña, "What the Hell Have You Done, Sophie Roth?" by Gayle Forman, and "Welcome to Christmas, CA" by Kiersten White. 4/5

Half Bad by Sally Green
This was a good start to a series. For the most part I enjoyed it. It's different than what I'm used to reading, but I liked it. I'm looking forward to continuing it. [Full Review] 4/5

A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall
The cover is what caught my attention one day when I was in Barnes and Noble. I looked it up, and I saw that not many people had read it (possibly because it was a new release). Later on I picked it up when I saw it at the library. This is a cutesy romance told from various perspectives except for the main two characters. It was cute story, but not one that is very memorable. [Full Review] 3/5

Currently Reading

Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo

February TBR

Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
Glory O'Brien's History of the Future by A.S. King
Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes
Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

No comments