Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff | Review

(The Illuminae Files, #1)
Authors: Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Published: October 20, 2015
(Knopf Books for Young Readers)
Genre: Sci-Fi, YA, Romance
Source: ARC from BookCon



This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do.

This afternoon, her planet was invaded.

The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra—who are barely even talking to each other—are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit.

But their problems are just getting started. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet's AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their enemy; and nobody in charge will say what’s really going on. As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth, it's clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: the ex-boyfriend she swore she'd never speak to again.




I usually write in my reviews if it's spoiler free or not, but this one kind of sits on the edge. The following might be a spoiler if you really want to go in to the book knowing nothing, but if you don't mind keep reading.

As far as I can recall I have never read a book that takes place in space. (Heh, that rhymed.) Right when I started reading it I realized I was going to have a problem with the language. In the end, it wasn't a big deal. I caught on to the way the characters spoke and the words they used.

To be honest, that kind of scared me into thinking I wasn't going to like the book. I thought that maybe this wasn't going to be for me, but I was wrong.

I'm a huge Walking Dead fan and this was like The Walking Dead in space.

From page one stuff is happening. There isn't a moment to really get a backstory or history of the world. You learn bits and pieces as you go along.

It's fast paced, which you probably wouldn't expect from such a big book. It's basically a sci-fi action movie in book form. There were parts where my heart was racing as if I was watching an intense action packed fight scene.

You're pretty much told upfront this is a love story, but ohmygod it is so much more. The way the relationship between Kady and Ezra is played out was great. It wasn't all about their love story, and at times I even forgot that they were teenagers. 

There's not much that I would change, except for one part in the book towards the beginning in a major scene with the Copernicus. I tried rereading that bit to make sure I hadn't rushed it, but it confused me a little with what was going on. It's an important scene and I wish it had been detailed a little bit more.

The books is enormous. it's around 600 pages long, but a lot of the content is instant messages, emails, and documents. The story is not told in a traditional format which made it all the more exciting and interesting. You don't know what you're going to get when you turn the page.











No comments