July 2014 | Wrap Up


The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
I started reading this at the beginning of June for the Yearathon and finished on the first of July. It was weird for me because I had seen the movie first. The book had so much more than the movie but there were still parts that I was familiar with throughout. It took me a while to get really into it. Nevertheless I liked it and want to continue with the series. 4 out of 5 stars.

The Ring and the Crown by Melissa de la Cruz
I was so frustrated with this book. It started off really interesting. That first scene where Aelwyn uses her power on the boy made me think I was going to be seeing more of that. There was a good idea, but it just wasn't for me. 3 out of 5 stars.

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
This had been on my Kindle for a while. I bought it when it was on sale on Amazon. I had just finished The Ring and the Crown and wanted to get into something else quick. I read this in a little over a day and found myself enjoying it more than I thought I would. I loved the main characters in this book, their relationship and the fact that it wasn't perfect. 4 out of 5 stars.

Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek by Maya Van Wagnen
I picked this up at the Strand because I had heard a few people haul it on booktube, but not many had read it. It was also only $9 for the hardback. What I loved the most about this book was the overall message and how someone so young could come to that conclusion and put it into words. I feel like this is a very important book for young girls and guys to read. Especially during a time like middle school (the time period in which Maya writes this) where you're beginning to figure stuff out about yourself. 5 out of 5 stars.

Angus Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison
I loved this. This was so funny. A quick read. The way Georgia responds to situations and what happens to her at time made me laugh out loud. I want to continue this series. 4 out of 5 stars.

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
My third Rainbow Rowell book. I didn't connect to this book as much as I wanted to. I tried. I really did but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. I heard about other's reactions and relationship to this book and maybe I was expecting the same and when it didn't happen I just felt let down. Other than that. This is a class Rainbow Rowell book with strong characters. 4 out of 5 stars.

Skink--No Surrender by Carl Hiaasen
This was one of the ARCS I got at BookCon. This is Hiaasen's first young adult novel. I liked the story and characters. At times I felt like I was reading a middle grade book. The language and at times the dialogue in the book reminded me of Hiaasen's Hoot.


No comments